Friday 13 December 2013

How To: Dye Halo Hair Extensions

Halo, long hair, bleach extensions Halo, long hair, bleach extensions

I recently purchased some Halo Hair Extensions in 'Bleach Blonde' which I've been very impressed with, but my one problem was that they were too dark for my white blonde hair, so I decided to risk dying them. Now I just want to clarify, in Halo's FAQ here is the advice they give for dying your Halo:

"If you chose to dye your halo hair extensions, as with your own hair it is best only to dye them a few shades darker. Completely saturate the hair extensions in the hair dye to ensure an even application and leave for the recommended time. We do not recommend using any bleaching agents on the hair as this may cause damage to the extensions and your own hair. We strongly recommend you seek salon assistance in dyeing your hair or halo hair extensions as we cannot guarantee results or be held responsible for failed dye attempts that results in damage or wrong colour creations"

So please do remember this should you choose to dye your Halo. My natural hair has been dyed at home for over 10 years. I have been dying it by myself for around the last 5 years, so I felt comfortable in attempting to dye my Halo myself with the brands I have come to trust. I chose to use the same hair dye which I use on my own hair; Schwarzkopf Live Color XXL Colour Intense in Absolute Platinum.

Schwarzkopf Live Absolute Platinum dye

I found that the easiest way to dye the hair extensions was to drape them over the edge into the bath. Mix up your dye as instructed on the box then use a hair dye brush to saturate the hair in the dye. I was weary of potentially causing any damage to the miracle wire, so I didn't dye all the way up to the weft at the top. A whole bottle of dye was a good amount for covering the Halo hair extension. I'd say there would be enough product for any of the lengths Halo come in, however I am using the 16" extensions and there was a little excess dye left.

Halo, long hair, bleach extensions

Dying was a fiddly job and I'd recommend having an extra person help if you can. This is definitely a task you're going to need to do in the bathroom; either over the bath or a sink.

Halo, long hair, bleach extensions

The dye I used recommends leaving it to develop for 30-45 minutes. I left it in for the maximum 45 minutes as it was still looking fairly dark at 30. I rinsed out the dye thoroughly and then applied Bleach London's Silver Shampoo which is a deep purple toning shampoo for removing the brassy tones that you can be left with when bleaching hair. The toner had a strong effect on the hair which quickly toned to a more silvery shade of blonde. I finished with an ordinary moisturising conditioner.

Halo, long hair, bleach extensions

I applied a leave-in hair oil before drying with a hairdryer. As Halos are real hair, the care of them is similar to that of your own hair; Halo suggest using shampoos and conditioners followed by drying using a hairdryer. You should also use heat styling oils to protect your hair from any heat damage.

As you can see from the first 2 images in this post, the hair was definitely lighter blonde and had lost a lot of the brassy hues after dying, I was very impressed. I lost very little hair throughout (far less than when I dye my own hair! and after taking the photos above I applied my usual Bumble & Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil heat styling product and straightened them, resulting in a sleeker look.

The end result was extensions that are indistinguishable from my own hair, I am thrilled with them!

Halo, long hair, bleach extensions

Halo Hair extensions in Bleach Blonde are £89.99 for 16" but they have a whole range of other colours and lengths and they even offer clip in extensions too.

7 comments:

  1. They look so good! Really natural looking :) Josie xxx

    http://josielcross.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased with them! I wear them every day now! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi !
    I'm obssessed with hair at the moment... (color, extensions, hair care...) Thanks for this review, they look so goood on you !
    Have you got a blog post about how you did your hair color ? Are you going to the hairdresser maybe ? Because I look to be blond but I hesitate... I want a really cool polar blond, not yellow at all... So... I'm not sure. I do not trust my hairdresser... xD
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I do indeed, I've a post all about how I dye my hair here. The key to not having orangey blonde is using a good toner after you dye though, so also check out my post about Bleach London's Silver Shampoo. I do all my hair dying/trimming at home after several hairdresser disasters! Hope this helps!

      Delete

  3. We are proud to bring our quality work and products to the market with cutting-edge technologies in the hair science. Outstanding selections and affordable prices are the cornerstone of Royal Hair Extensions.Our well-conceived methods and professional staff are what makes Royal Hair Extensions the world’s foremost authority on hair extensions and hair replacement for women.
    Best Hair Extensions NYC

    ReplyDelete
  4. hair extensions black to blondeYou searched for: fashionbee66! Discover the unique items that fashionbee66 creates. At Etsy, we pride ourselves on our global community of sellers. Each Etsy seller helps contribute to a global marketplace of creative goods. By supporting fashionbee66, you’re supporting a small business, and, in turn, Etsy!

    ReplyDelete